Areas of Responsibility
Criminal JusticeInvestigative Function
- Advise law enforcement agencies regarding criminal law and provide legal assistance on investigations in progress.
- Draft and review search warrants.
Charging FunctionReview investigative reports and determine whether criminal charges should be authorized.
- Interview material witnesses.
- Review pertinent legal decisions, statutes and other legal materials pertaining to the case.
- Provide notification and assistance to crime victims and witnesses.
Court ProceedingsService as Attorney for the People of the State of Michigan.
- At pre-trial hearings and motions: analyze evidence and relevant legal authorities in evaluating the case and preparing for trial. Present testimony and legal arguments at motion hearings.
- At trial: present opening and closing statements, examine and cross-examine witnesses and perform legal research related to trial issues.
- Research issues in post-trial cases, and prepare responses by submitting legal briefs, responses to motions, and answers to complaints for superintending control and/or mandamus in Ottawa County Courts, State Court of Appeals, Michigan Supreme Court and Federal Courts.
- Present argument before State and Federal appellate courts.
- Inform and educate victims concerning the outcome of appeals and/or effect of decisions.
- Act as liaison between the Michigan Parole Board and victims, including contacting the parole board and/or appearing at parole hearings.
- Review potential parole release cases following notification from the Parole Board and intervene if deemed necessary.
Victim Assistance Unit
- Provide victims with notice of initial charges, their rights and all court proceedings.
- Assist victims in seeking appropriate counseling or social services.
- Assist and accompany victims during trial or court proceedings.
- Provide an opportunity for victim input regarding trial decisions and any plea negotiations.
- Assist victims in presenting sentence recommendations orally or in writing.
- Assist victims in determining the amount of appropriate restitution and communicating restitution amounts to probation departments and the court.
- Assist in securing court-ordered restitution from convicted defendants.
- Assist victims in obtaining information about parole hearings and anticipated discharge dates for convicted defendants who are incarcerated.
Domestic Assault Intervention Program
- Contacts victim of domestic violence cases within 48 hours after an incident occurs in which a perpetrator has been lodged in jail.
- Refer the victim and family to various agencies based on their needs, such as financial assistance, legal advise, counseling and temporary lodging.
- Coordinate with the Center for Women in Transition to make available family counseling and resources.
- Coordinate and exchange information with the Intensive Supervision Officers; review requests to lift no contact orders, when appropriate.
- Report any violations of the conditions of bond or indications of misconduct to the courts.
- Consult with assistant prosecuting attorneys and victim assistance staff regarding domestic violence victim status on pending prosecutions.
Family Court Division - Juvenile Court
Serve as attorney for the People and Petitioners in Delinquency and Abuse/Neglect proceedings involving children under 17 years of age.
- Authorize petitions, present testimony and legal argument at pretrial hearings and motions.
- Present arguments and examine witnesses at adjudication hearings (trials).
- Present evidence and arguments at dispositional hearings (sentence proceedings).
- Research, prepare briefs and argue appeals.
Mental Commitment Proceedings
- Review and prepare commitment petitions seeking appropriate treatment for those suffering from serious mental illness or impairment.
- Present evidence and legal argument at hearings seeking appropriate treatment.
- Ronald Frantz
- Monday - Friday:
8:00am - 5:00pm
Grand Haven Office
414 Washington Ave,
Grand Haven, MI 49417
- Phone: (616) 846-8215
Fax: (616) 846-8178
85 West 8th Street,
Holland, MI 49423
- Phone: (616) 392-1446
Fax: (616) 355-4336