• Officials & Departments
  • Online Services
  • Courts & Sheriff
  • County Parks
  • Property Resources
  • Documents Forms

Community Mental Health Handbook

Substance Abuse Services

Professional treatment services are available if you are experiencing problems with the use of alcohol or with illegal drugs, or if you have been referred for these services by a court, case worker, or others.

Public assistance for access to substance abuse treatment for residents of Muskegon and Ottawa Counties is offered through the Lakeshore Coordinating Council and its panel of local and regional providers.

These services may be covered by Medicaid, or insurance, or you may be charged reduced fees based on a sliding fee scale. Some of the services may be located outside your home county. The services available include:

  • Screening and Assessment
  • Outpatient Counseling-individual and group
  • Intensive Outpatient Programs
  • Opiate Replacement Therapy-methadone
  • Sub-acute Detoxification
  • Intensive Residential
  • Extended or Long Term Residential

For assistance accessing any of these services, contact:
Lakeshore Coordinating Council
Customer Service Department
Monday to Friday 8 am - 5 pm.
(616) 846-4662 or (866) 846-7311
Please note: this is not an emergency medical response service; call 911 or go to a hospital if you need immediate medical care.

Confidentiality of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Information

Your alcohol and drug abuse records are protected by Federal law and regulations (42 CFR Part 2). Generally, this means information about you is not disclosed without your written consent.

Your Rights

In the State of Michigan, substance abuse services are licensed and regulated under the Public Health Code (PA 368 of 1978), with special rights and protections. We are dedicated to providing you with quality services. You should also feel free to make a complaint if you believe any of your rights have been violated. The same grievance and appeals process is available to you as described earlier in this handbook.

When you begin services, you will receive a booklet titled "Know Your Rights." In this booklet, it will clearly state:

  • what you have the right to know about the services you will receive.
  • what you can expect from program staff during your sessions.
  • what your responsibilities are while you are receiving services.
  • who to contact if you think your rights have been violated.

Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rights

The Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act is a Federal law that protects the privacy of your personal health information. We are required to inform you of your rights under this law. You will be given a summary of these rights when you begin services. If you have questions or concerns, you may ask to speak to the Privacy Officer at your treatment program, your local CMH, or at the Lakeshore Coordinating Council at 1-877-846-5221.

What should I do if I think I might have an alcohol or other drug use problem?

  • First, you will need to schedule a screening and/or assessment visit with one of the local service providers, or the specialized access agency, Shoreline Consultation Services.
  • Teenagers do not need a parent's permission to request a screen or assessment for substance use problems.

What is an assessment?

  • You will talk to a Substance Abuse Specialist.
  • You will be asked questions about your use of alcohol and/or other drugs to determine if you have a problem needing treatment.
  • You will be asked questions about your income, number of people in your immediate family, and insurance coverage to determine if you are eligible for financial assistance.
  • The Substance Abuse Specialist will talk to you about what the next best steps for you are, your choices, and what treatment might be best for you.
  • You may be referred to another provider agency for treatment, or for additional assessment.
  • You may be told what types of treatment services, and how many visits can be approved for you at the time.
  • It is private and confidential.
  • It can happen in person or over the telephone.

When you call or come in for substance abuse services, you will need to tell the receptionist:

  • Your name, address, age, and the county you live in.
  • If you are enrolled in Medicaid or Medicare, or have insurance.
  • Your Medicaid, Medicare, or other health insurance numbers.
  • The number of people in your immediate family and current income.

Pre-Approval of Covered Services

Substance abuse treatment services must be pre-authorized (approved) to assure payment. Only persons approved by the Access Center will be provided services. Lakeshore Coordinating Council will not pay for services without proper authorization (or approval).

  • For individuals without insurance, if you qualify, we will pre-authorize (pre-approval) block grant services.
  • If you have private insurance, you may need to contact your insurance company to obtain authorization (approval) for services. The insurance company will determine the amount and type of services for which you are eligible, based on your coverage.

Services that are considered ineffective, experimental, or inappropriate will not be approved. Opiate Replacement Therapy to replace prescribed pain medications will not be approved under this funding.

If you should disagree with a decision made, you have the right to ask for a second opinion and/or make a complaint. Please refer to the earlier sections of this handbook.

Contact the Lakeshore Coordinating Council if you have unresolved concerns or complaints about your substance abuse treatment services:
1-877-846-5221 (toll free) or (616) 846-6720, Grand Haven, MI

Administrative Office

12265 James Street
Holland, MI 49424
Phone: (616) 392-1873
Monday - Friday:
8:00am - 5:00pm
Lynne Doyle
Executive Director
Briana Fowler
Recipient Rights Officer