Located on the southern edge of what is now Grand Valley State University's riverfront property, Blendon Landing was a thriving settlement during the lumber era. An eight mile tramway was built to carry timber from Blendon where John Ball had purchased 2,500 acres of pine timber. The village located on a bluff contained a large boarding house, a general store, a schoolhouse, blacksmith shop, hotel, a saloon and many cabins. Down below, along the river, was located a sawmill and a shipyard. Four schooners were built at Blendon from 1860 to 1864 including the Wright, Eveline, Lumberman and the Geo. W. Wescott. Blendon Landing was abandoned before 1882. Sources: Donald W. Linebaugh, Dr. Carl Bajema and James Ponshair