Eastmanville was originally settled in 1835 by Dr. Scranton, Timothy Eastman and others and was known as Scranton for a short time. An article in the Grand River Times in 1855 described the "elegant store and warehouse" erected by Dr. Scranton and his sons and stated the "grounds around the family mansion were tastefully laid out and adorned with choice varieties of fruit trees." George Eastman built a sawmill on the riverbank which burned in 1854 and was rebuilt in 1855. A number of hardwood industries were located in Eastmanville including a barrel factory; handle factor, planing mill, and a shipyard. A popular chain ferry preceded the bridges, the first of which was built in 1917 and then replaced by the second and current Eastmanville Bridge which was opened in 1969. Sources: Donald W. Linebaugh, Dr. Carl Bajema and James Ponshair