John Haire purchased land at this location of the south bank of the Grand River in 1851 and built a steam sawmill in 1856. He also built a large boarding house, some tenant houses, a store, a blacksmith shop, and some barns. A log family home was later replaced with a large cement house which included a dining room which could seat 25. The sawmill was destroyed by fire in 1864, rebuilt in 1872, and burned again in 1877. An 1864 map showed 13 buildings including a school house. A cemetery which still exists today includes the graves of John Haire and his wife. The 1876 plat book contains an engraving of showing the large cement house with fenced in grounds, landscaping and people playing croquet. Sources: Donald W. Linebaugh, Dr. Carl Bajema and James Ponshair