In this area was the location of the Deremo Float Bridge. About 1871 a float bridge spanned Deremo Bayou between Spring Lake and Crockery Townships at current day 144th Ave. Andrew Jackson Hale built it of pine logs and designed it to float up and down with the rise and fall of the river. After being in place for more than 75 years, the 100 yard structure was extremely long lived but was weakened when automobiles began to use it on a regular basis. It was closed to auto traffic by the Ottawa County Road Commission in 1946, although it continued to serve local residents as a pedestrian bridge until it was completely removed in the 1970's.

Source Wallace K Ewing