Here at the mouth of Spring Lake, on this peninsula was the original village of Mill Point. In 1844 Jabez Barber and Richard Mason built the Barber Mill and an associated town was platted. Housing and mercantile growth east of Mill Point eventually led to the entire village being renamed Spring Lake by the Michigan Legislature in 1867, but as the lumbering era progressed ‘Mill Point' was used to describe the area around the tip of the peninsula where the mills and much of the lumbering activity were located. Two of the homes from the Mill Point period still exist on Barber Street.

Sources: David Siebold and Leo Lillie