The site of Jenisonville or Jenison is located along the south bank of the Grand River at the mouth of Rush Creek. Lemuel and Hiram settled in Jenison in 1836 and established a sawmill and gristmill. Hiram Jenison purchased 1,600 acres of pine timber along Rush Creek and H & L Jenison and Company cut over one million board feet of lumber in their first year. A hotel was built in 1837. By 1876 the settlement had grown to include 25 or 30 families with 19 buildings including the mills with a mill pond, two dry goods stores and a hardware store. Source: Donald W. Linebaugh