In about 1850 Edward and Moline Pelter Jubb came to settle east of the mouth of Crockery Creek in this area coming to be known as Jubb's Bayou. Their eldest son Orange worked the farm. On April 1, 1863 twenty-three Orange enlisted in the 7th Regiment Michigan Volunteer Cavalry assigned to the famous Michigan Brigade under the command of Brigadier General George A. Custer. Orange's battalion left Grand Rapids in May, 1863 to defend Washington D.C. The Brigade would fight in every major campaign of the Army of the Potomac from the Battle of Gettysburg to the Confederate surrender at Appomattox Courthouse in April, 1865. Orange sacrificed a leg to the Union cause, and wasn't released from Harper Hospital in Detroit until August 9, 1865. Just five days later, Private Jubb was discharged from the United States Army into life as a civilian.

Orange married Lucinda Bartholomew, and the union produced six children. Orange went on to serve his community as Commissioner of Highways for Crockery Township in 1885 and as Nunica Postmaster in 1889. When Orange died in 1905, Lucinda applied for his Civil War pension. She passed away two years later. The couple is interred at Ottawa Center Cemetery located adjacent to the Jubb Farm, now Ottawa County parkland.

Bordering that property is another Ottawa County recreational retreat, the Crockery Creek Natural Area. From the earliest inhabitants of the Grand River Valley, people have always appreciated a beautiful place. Before the existence of Ottawa County Parks, farmers owning choice riverfront sites developed private parks. The Frederick Warnke farm once bordering the Jubb Farm, was one such site (insert 8/1/12 Tribune article or excerpts/map).

The Warnke land was purchased by David Randell and his father in 1956. In more recent years, the Randells and George Kirkby sold their property to the Ottawa County Parks. The land is once again available to delight picnickers.