Daniel Realy operated the "Midway House" at this site as a stopover spot half way between Grand Haven and Grand Rapids. Purchased by Ottawa County in 1866, it became Ottawa County's "poor farm" to house indigent residents. The working farm, which operated until the late 1990's, provided a place for people who were unable to care for themselves.
The property was designated as an Ottawa County Park in 2004 with equestrian and hiking trails. A huge dairy barn, built in the 1920's and restored by the parks department, can be seen from the river. The "poor farm" cemetery has also been restored through volunteer efforts and interpretive signs describe the site's history. Sources: Dr. Carl Bajema and James Ponshair and Ottawa County Parks