Community Action Agency

Home Rehabilitation

This program provides home improvements which meet Michigan State Housing Development Authority's (MSHDA) Housing Quality Standards (HQS) for issues related to roofing, furnace and plumbing as well as many others.

CAA provides home inspections and acts as fiduciary agent (trustee). Home Rehabilitation consists of a loan which must be repaid. After five years, however, 50% of the loan is forgiven. There is no interest on the loan and it can be deferred until the sale of the home or until refinancing.

CAA also offers Emergency Repairs which are those immediate repairs considered to be necessary to prevent a threat to health or safety.


Recipients must be residents of Ottawa County. Homes located in the City of Holland are not eligible for this program but may be eligible for the City of Holland's Home Repair Program, (616) 355-1330.

If your home is purchased through a Land Contract, you and the Land Contract holder must agree to the repairs. Your home must have a home-owners insurance policy.

Manufactured homes are eligible only if they are attached to a permanent foundation. Rental units are not eligible. You must provide all documentation required by Community Action Agency which includes the deed to the house, homeowners insurance, tax returns, and bank statements. See a CAA specialist for a complete list when applying.

Home Rehabilitation Program - Income Guidelines
Family Size 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
40% 23,440 26,760 30,120 33,440 36,120 38,800 41,480 44,160
50% 29,300 33,450 37,650 41,800 45,150 45,150 51,850 55,200
60% 35,160 40,140 45,180 50,160 54,180 58,200 62,220 66,240
70% 41,020 46,830 52,710 58,520 63,210 67,900 72,590 77,280
80% 46,850 53,550 60,250 66,900 72,300 77,650 83,000 88,350

Who Qualifies

Families living in occupied single-family homes whose combined annual income does not exceed the income figure in the chart above. These income limits change annually. These numbers apply to 2021 only but provide a general guideline.

How Do I Qualify?

Recipients must have house payments and property taxes paid up to date. See CAA for an application.