Pursuant to Local Administrative Order 2022-05, all three locations of the 58th District Court will be closed to the public on Friday, September 30, 2022 from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm for professional development and a staff meeting. 58th District Court and Probation/Community Corrections Offices will re-open on Monday, October 3, 2022 at 8:00 am.
District Court Probation
What is a Presentence Investigation?A presentence investigation (PSI) is an independent review of a criminal offense, and the circumstances surrounding its commission, which is conducted by the probation department prior to sentencing.
The PSI may involve:
- Interviewing the defendant and witnesses
- Background checks
- Substance abuse assessments
- Restitution calculations
- Reviewing the defendant’s life circumstances and any mitigating factors
Purpose of the PSIA PSI is designed to assist the judge by highlighting all relevant factors that should be considered at sentencing. The probation officer summarizes the findings of the PSI in a report, which is submitted to the court before sentencing.
What to bring to your PSI Interview (optional)You may consider bringing the following items to your interview which will assist the probation officer with his or her investigation:
- Letters of reference
- List of current medications or medical conditions
- List of previously attended counseling sessions
- Names and addresses of family members
How to obtain a copy of your PSI ReportAttorney Representation
Your attorney may pick up a copy at the probation department up to two days prior to your sentence date, or on the day of sentence. Reports cannot be mailed/faxed/emailed to the attorney because of confidentiality concerns and they cannot be picked up by the defendant.
If you are not represented by an attorney, you may pick up a copy of your report from the probation department prior to your sentence.
Day of Sentence
- Arrive on time and dress appropriately
- Review your PSI Report before seeing the judge
- Bring money to pay off fines and costs
- Be respectful at all times and answer questions honestly