Body Art Facilities
The Michigan Public Health Code requires licensure and inspections by local health departments of body art facilities that tattoo, brand or perform body piercing. The Ottawa County Department of Public Health annually inspects tattoo facilities to ensure adequate sterilization, sanitation and safety standards are maintained. Tattooing involves a needle, and it can be likened to a surgical procedure. This process exposes people to risks of infections, some of which are serious and difficult to treat. Bacterial and bloodborne infections can happen when non-sterile water, inks and equipment are used. Blood may carry the hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). These viruses can be dangerous and make you sick. Some of these diseases are permanent and can be fatal. Exposure can happen through needle sticks, contact with dried blood on equipment or surfaces, or even blood splashes in the eyes, nose or mouth. If you decided to get a tattoo, find a facility that:
- Is licensed and inspected.
- Maintains a clean and organized facility.
- Follows hygienic practices and proper handwashing.
- Cleans and sterilizes equipment and surfaces.
- Wears clean disposable gloves.
- Opens a new sterile needle in front of you.
- Disposes used needles in a Sharps container.
- Uses inks that are manufactured specifically for tattooing.
- Uses inks and ointments portioned out for individual use.
- Uses only sterile water to dilute concentrated inks or rinse equipment during tattooing.
- Does not allow tattooing of minors (without written parental consent) or people under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
|Wicked Ways 2||6197 Lake Michigan Dr.||Allendale|
|Screaming Needle Tattoo||4629 Lake Michigan Dr.||Allendale|
|Lyn Phillips LTD||301 Fulton St.||Grand Haven|
|Ink Haven Tattoo Shop||302 S. Beechtree St.||Grand Haven|
|Primm & Proper Custom Tattoo and Piercing||616 S. Beechtree St. Ste. 1||Grand Haven|
|Imagery Hair Design Studio||451 Columbia Ave Ste. D||Holland|
|MI Vida Ink||130 E. Lakewood Blvd. Ste. H.||Holland|
|Riptide Tattoo||102 Walnut||Holland|
|Miller Ink Tattoo Studio||661 Douglas Ave||Holland|
|Studio Seventeen LLC||214 College||Holland|
|Trends Hair Salon||60 E. Lakewood Ste. 100||Holland|
|La’ Bella Cosmetic Makeup||11975 E. Lakewood Blvd.||Holland|
|Htown Ink||166 W 13th St.||Holland|
|Hoodoo Tattoo||178 W. Lakewood Blvd.||Holland|
|Sammy Nails||380 Central||Holland|
|The Beauty Place||7610 Cottonwood Dr. Ste. 104||Jenison|
|Knockout Agency||127 Old M-21||Jenison|
|Gremlin Gallery LLC||7813 Cottonwood Dr.||Jenison|
|Love Tattoo||127 Old-M21 B||Jenison|
|The Pink Door Spatique||567 Baldwin St.||Jenison|
|Don’t Tell Mom DTM Piercings and Tattoos||52 E. Main Ave.||Zeeland|
|Z Ink||36 N Elm||Zeeland|
For additional information or to request a facility inspection report, please call (616) 393-5645.