COVID-19 Updates & Information from Public Health »

The Ottawa County Fillmore Complex in West Olive is currently without power, impacting its ability to serve customers.

This includes the Sheriff headquarters, Clerk, Register of Deeds and Treasurer offices as well as today's inmate visits at the jail and hearings in the West Olive court. Other locations such as Holland, Grand Haven and Hudsonville are operating and providing services and hearings.

More Information »

Department of Public Health

  • Environmental Sustainability Centers

    Environmental Sustainability Centers

    Beginning June 1, 2020: Resource Recovery Center Locations Open with Regular Hours. Learn More »

    Public Notice

    The Facility Review Subcommittee will be meeting to discuss the vertical expansion of the J.H. Campbell coal ash landfill owned by Consumers Energy in an ordinance of the Ottawa County Solid Waste Management Plan. Copies of the summary report will be available at the Ottawa County Department of Public Health Building at 12251 James St, Suite 200, Holland, MI 49424.

    The Ottawa County Department of Public Health operates four Environmental Sustainability Centers. Materials that are accepted at the centers include Household Hazardous Waste, Consumer Electronics and Recyclables.

    If you have any questions regarding services, please call (616) 393-5645 or email



    15600 68th Avenue
    Coopersville, MI 49404


    Monday: 12pm-4pm
    Wednesday: 8am-12pm
    3rd Saturday: 8am-11am

    Monday, May 31st
    Monday, July 5th
    Monday, September 6th


    6693 Roger Drive
    Jenison, MI 49428

    Tuesday: 12pm-4pm
    Thursday: 8am-12pm
    1st Saturday: 8am-11am

    Tuesday, August 31 for saftey training
    Thursday, November 25th
    Thursday, December 23rd

    Autumn Hills Landfill

    No site attendant present

    700 56th Ave
    Zeeland, MI 49464


    Monday - Friday: 6:30 am - 4:00 pm
    Saturday: 7:00 am - 11:30 am

    This site only accepts Household Hazardous Waste from our approved list. NO TIRES, NO SCRAP METAL, NO ELECTRONICS

    Grand Haven

    16850 Comstock Avenue
    Grand Haven, MI 49417


    Monday & Wednesday: 8am-1pm & 2pm-4pm
    4th Saturday: 8am-11am

    Monday, May 31st
    Monday, July 5th
    Monday, August 16 from 10-12pm
    Monday, September 6th
    Saturday, November 27th
    Saturday, December 25th


    14053 Quincy
    Holland, MI 49424


    Tuesday & Thursday: 8am-1pm & 2pm-4pm
    2nd Saturday: 8am-11am

    Tuesday, August 17 from 10-12pm
    Tuesday, August 31 for safety training
    Thursday, November 25th
    Thursday, December 23rd

  • Recycling


    recycle MIEnvironmental Health specialists work to provide Ottawa County residents with information about hazardous materials and recycling. Proper disposal at Environmental Sustainability Centers help prevent water pollution, which may lead to serious health risks. For a fee, Ottawa County offers residential recycling at the Environmental Sustainability Centers.

    12 months: $100
    9 months: $85
    6 month: $65
    3 month: $36

    More information is available on the membership form. For additional recycling information call 616-393-5645.


    Please clean all food containers and remove lids and labels.

    Office Paper
    Discarded Mail
    Corrugated Cardboard
    Phone Books
    Brown Paper Bags
    Steel, “tin”, and Aluminum Cans
    Empty Aerosol Cans
    Clear and Colored Glass
    Plastics #1 - 7
    Projection TVs, CRT TVs and CRT Computer Monitors
    Not Accepted

    We are unable to accept any of these items due to restrictions at the sorting facility. Items such as these can jam or break sorting machinery.

    Plastic bags of any kind
    Packing Peanuts
    Plastic Edging
    Vinyl siding
    Printer & Toner Cartridges
    PVC Pipe
    Furnace Filters
    Items larger than a 5-gal bucket

    Back to Top

  • Consumer Electronics

    Consumer Electronics

    Electronics often contain hazardous materials that should not be landfilled or incinerated. They also contain precious metals, glass, and plastics that should be recycled. Donating or recycling electronics at any Environmental Sustainability Centers, conserves natural resources and avoids air and water pollution. Computer equipment can also be recycled at any local Goodwill location.

    Projection TVs, CRT TVs and CRT Computer Monitors

    The Ottawa County Environmental Sustainability Centers accept projection TVs, Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) TVs and CRT computer monitors for a fee.

    • 30" and smaller: $10
    • 30" and larger: $20
    • Only credit/debit card payments accepted.
    • Recyclers MUST be able to assist in unloading. If you cannot, please return with someone who can help.

    If you are not sure whether your items qualify for recycling, please call (616) 393-5645 or email for more information.

    Locations accepting these items for a FEE:

    11379 East Lakewood Blvd
    Holland (616) 355-4229
    (Charges are based on screen size.)

    Best Buy
    Click Here For Accepted Items
    3549 W. Shore Dr
    Holland (616) 738-4183

    4830 Wilson Ave SW
    Grandville (616) 532-2024

    5425 Harvey St
    Muskegon (231) 798-6407
    (Size limits may apply)

    Back to Top

  • Appliance Disposal

    Appliance Disposal

    Washers, dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers and freezers need to be disposed of properly. Although Ottawa County Department of Public Health does not offer any appliance disposal programs, there are other environmentally responsible options. Residents can call Black River Recycling & Supply at (616) 396-8587 for more information on disposal fees and/or purchase of your used appliance.

    Back to Top

  • Household Hazardous Waste Program

    Household Hazardous Waste Program

    Improper disposal can contaminate. FREE household hazardous waste disposal is available to Ottawa County residents at any Environmental Sustainability Centers. Household hazardous wastes are leftover, unwanted or unusable products that contain toxic, flammable, caustic (causes burns) or chemically reactive ingredients.

    Health hazards may occur when:

    • toxic gasses are inhaled from mixed products
    • hazardous products are left around the house and consumed by children or pets
    • hazardous products are poured into drains or toilets, causing contamination of septic tanks or wastewater treatment systems
    • hazardous products are poured into storm sewers and pollute bodies of water
    • drinking water from wells or water systems are contaminated


    Motor Oil and Filters
    Oil-Based Paint
    Drain Cleaners
    Fire Extinguishers
    Garden Chemicals
    Pool and Spa Chemicals
    20lb Propane Tanks
    Household Cleaners
    Paint Thinner and Stripper
    Flourescent Tube Light Bulbs
    Hobby Supplies
    Car Batteries
    Lithium Batteries
    Rechargeable Batteries
    Scrap Metal

    Not Accepted

    Latex Paint
    Plastic/Metal Lids
    Food Containers
    Alkaline Batteries
    Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
    Plastic Bags
    Bulky Plastics

    Back to Top

  • Small Business, Non-profit & Non-residential

    Small Business, Non-profit & Non-residential

    We provide confidential, non-regulatory assistance and referral to properly manage industrial hazardous wastes. Our Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator program provides environmentally safe and economical disposal of hazardous waste at any of our Resource Recovery Service Centers. Appointments are required and a fee for services will apply. A conditionally exempt small quantity generator is one who creates less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste in a month or accumulates no more than 2,200 pounds total at a time.

    Back to Top

  • Medication Disposal

    Medication Disposal

    Prevent drug misuse and overdose. Free disposal of unwanted or expired prescription drugs and over the counter medications are accepted at participating locations. Please remove pills from bottles and place in a sealable plastic bag. Liquids or gels may be kept in original packages with the labels blackened or removed.

    Back to Top

  • Sharps Disposal

    Sharps Disposal

    Safe disposal of needles help prevent exposure to serious diseases, such as HIV and hepatitis. Free Home Use-Medical Sharps containers are available to residents at any Ottawa County Department of Public Health office. Once containers are full, you may exchange them for new ones at our offices. Only sharps containers provided by the Ottawa County Department of Public Health will be accepted. We dispose full containers through a licensed medical waste disposal company, to reduce any health or safety risks.

    Click here for more information about the GR Red Project’s Clean Works Program – syringe access/needle exchange program.

    Back to Top

  • Used Motor Oil Recycling

    Used Motor Oil Recycling

    Each year, thousands of gallons of used motor oil is produced by do-it-yourself oil changes. Improper management of used oil can have detrimental effects on the environment. As little as one quart of oil can contaminate 2 million gallons of drinking water! Ottawa County residents can recycle used oil or any other automotive fluids (free of charge) at any Resource Recover Service Center.

    Back to Top

  • What to do with Latex Paint

    What to do with Latex Paint

    Unusable latex paint, while not considered hazardous, must be dried prior to disposal. When drying latex paint, always choose an area that is well ventilated, protected from the elements and not accessible to children or pets.

    For small amounts of paint, simply open the container and allow the contents to air dry. To solidify larger quantities of latex paint, mix in an absorbent such as cat litter. Mix in enough absorbent until the paint becomes difficult to stir and is no longer liquid. Allow to dry with the lid off. The container may be placed in the regular trash.

    Back to Top

  • Scrap Tire Recycling

    The 2021 scrap tire collection has ended for the year. The centers will start collection again in the Spring of 2022.

    Scrap Tires are a known environmental hazard due to the ability to be breeding grounds for mosquitoes which can spread diseases, fire hazards that are difficult to extinguish, and can also causes soil and water contamination. Recycled tires can be used for items like playground cover, fuel, drainfield aggregate, and road construction materials.

    Ottawa County’s Environmental Sustainability Centers will be collecting scrap tires at all four centers by appointment only starting May 3rd , 2021 during fair weather months. We are unable to accept tires without an appointment.

    • All tires must be free of any dirt, debris, and water
    • Residental Tires ONLY
    • Scrap tire fee is $2 until the end of August or until the grant limit is reached
    • Scrap tire will be $6 at the start of September or until the grant limit is reached
    • Residents are limited to 10 tires per appointment
    • All tires must be free of dirt, water, and debris
    • NO tractor, airplane, or semi-truck tires will be accepted
    • Any nonconforming tire will not be accepted
    • Residents must be willing and able to assist in the unloading of tires
    • Centers accept credit card payments only
    • Cash or check payments must be done in advance at the Holland Department of Public Health at 12251 James St. Suite 200, Holland, MI 49424. Bring the receipt with you at your appointment.

  • Mercury


    Mercury is a toxic element found in household devices like thermometers and thermostats. Mercury should be carefully handled to prevent mercury spills and should be properly disposed. Exposure or inhalation of mercury vapors can lead to neurological damage and several other health hazards.

    Mercury Containing Thermometers

    The Thermometer exchange mercury containing thermometers for a free digital thermometer at any Ottawa County Department of Public Health office or Environmental Sustainability Center. Limit one digital thermometer per resident.

    Mercury Containing Devices and Elemental Mercury

    Schools, homes, health care facilities, and businesses may have mercury containing devices such as barometers, thermometers, sphygmomanometers, mercury switches and elemental mercury. Please call (616) 393-5645 for instructions on proper handling of mercury and to arrange for disposal.

    Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

    Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFLs) and fluorescent lights contain very small amounts of mercury in the form of a vapor powder. Local retailers may accept CFLs. To find an outlet near you, please visit and use the search function for your area. Ottawa County residents can recycle four and eight foot fluorescent light bulbs (free of charge) at any Ottawa County Environmental Sustainability Center. A fee for disposal services will apply to businesses.

    Useful Links

    Back to Top

  • Pesticide Disposal

    Clean Sweep Free Pesticide Disposal

    Clean Sweep is a FREE, non-regulatory program to help you safely dispose of banned and/or unusable pesticides or herbicides. Any Michigan homeowner, farm, greenhouse, nursery, golf course or other end user of pesticides or herbicides can use this service. Old, unwanted, out-of-date or unusable pesticides or herbicides can be dropped off (free of charge) for safe disposal at one of our Environmental Sustainability Centers.

    Back to Top

  • Scrap Metal

    Scrap Metal

    More information coming soon

    Back to Top

  • Composting


    Ottawa County’s Environmental Sustainability Program has started a Food Composting Program. We are piloting this program at two of our Environmental Sustainability Centers (formally Resource Recovery Centers). Our Grand Haven and Holland locations will now be hosting the Food Composting Program. We are offering it to all Ottawa County Residents and Small Businesses. Residents will purchase a compostable bag and sign up with site attendant then return the bag once it’s full. Small businesses will have an option to purchase a weekly or monthly membership where they can bring in their food waste in a compostable bag with deleted in their membership.

    All food waste accepted. No yard waste.

    Residential Membership: $5 per bag (return bag once full)
    Small Business Membership: $12 weekly/ $40 monthly

    Composting is taking organic material such as food waste and breaking down into enriching soil. Using compost is an easy way to reduce chemical fertilizers but at the same time prevent soil erosion, naturally increase soil fertility, improves water retention, and ultimate reduce the amount of useable material taken to our local landfills. Composting is an easy way Ottawa County residents can reduce waste and increase Ottawa County’s sustainability.

    Back to Top

  • Vehicles