Search Ottawa County, Michigan

Marriage License Request

Do not apply today if marriage ceremony is scheduled to take place after 10/24/2019.


Please read these requirements carefully. After applying online, the marriage license can be picked up at the Ottawa County Clerk's Office after the 3-day waiting period ONLY with the required documentation. Refunds will NOT be issued if you applied too soon.

General Requirements

» State Law: The State of Michigan through MCL 551.101, 104, 106 requires all parties intending to be married to obtain a marriage license from the county clerk of the county in which either the man or woman resides.
» In-State Residents: Must apply for license in the county in which they live. One applicant must be an Ottawa County resident, verification of county residency is required. The marriage may then occur in any county in the state.
» Out-of-State Residents: Must apply for license in the county in which they will be married.
» Waiting Period: There is a required 3-day waiting period to obtain a license after submitting an application.
» Application Expiration: Marriage must take place within 33 days from date of application.

Required Documentation to Obtain License

» Online Order Confirmation Number: After the application has been submitted, an order confirmation number will be displayed. An email containing the order number will also be sent.
» Certified Birth Certificates: Each applicant must provide one of the following: a certified birth certificate, an official foreign birth certificate with an English translation, a permanent resident alien card or naturalization certificate. Note: We require the original certified birth record along with the certified translation (if applicable).
» Government Issued Pictured Identification: For both applicants such as a driver's license or state identification. Address on application must match valid current driver's license for both (verification required in office). A passport can be used for pictured identification if an additional piece of documentation is included to show residency. An additional piece of documentation would include a utility bill or something similar.
» Certified Judgment of Divorce or Certified Death Certificate: If previous marriage was terminated by divorce or death.
» Social Security Cards: For both applicants. If you are exempt from having a social security number due to other legal reasons (citizen of another country here with a passport, work or student visa or in the process of becoming a citizen of this country) or exempt because of religious convictions pursuant to MCL 551.102{sec. 2(3)}, you must provide applicable documentation and must sign an affidavit to that affect. If you are ineligible to obtain a social security card, you must sign an affidavit to that affect in lieu of having the social security information.
» Parental Consent Form: If age 16 or 17, parental or guardian consent is required. A consent form must be notarized with parent/guardian signature or parent/guardian must be present, with valid government identification to sign consent form. Forms are available from the County Clerk's Office.

Information Needed to Apply

» Age & Date of Birth: For both applicants. Each must be at least 18 years old. However, a 16 or 17 year old can apply with written consent of a parent of guardian, (see Required Documentation below).
» Birthplace: For both applicants, provide city and state of birth.
» Parent Information: Provide parents' full names including mother's maiden name and state of birth or country if not USA.

Online Application - License Fees

» Michigan Residents: $20 for the license + $3 technology fee.
» Out-of-State Residents: $30 for the license + $4 technology fee.

Locations to Obtain License After 3-Day Waiting Period

» Fillmore-West Olive
12220 Fillmore Street, Room 130 
West Olive, MI 49460
Phone: (616) 994-4531
Fax: (616) 994-4538
Monday through Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
» Grand Haven
414 Washington Avenue, Room 115
Grand Haven, MI 49417
Phone: (616) 846-8310
Fax: (616) 846-8138
Monday through Friday
8:00am - 11:30am  
12:30pm - 5:00pm
» Holland
12251 James Street
Holland, MI 49424
Phone: (616) 494-5566  
Fax: (616) 494-5495
Monday through Friday  
8:00am - 11:30am
12:30pm - 5:00pm
» Hudsonville
3100 Port Sheldon Road
Hudsonville, MI 49426
(616) 662-6085
8:00am - 12:00pm
1:00pm - 5:00 pm

For more information on applying for marriage license or for other ways to apply, please see County Clerk - Apply for Marriage License.

For technical support when using this application, please contact the Help Desk.

By clicking , you acknowledge that you have read and understood the above requirements.