Upper Macatawa Natural Area
From US-31, travel east on 16th (Adams) to 84th. Travel north on 84th a half mile to the west entrance. From I-196 to exit 55 and travel east on Byron Road to 76th Avenue. Take 76th south to the east entrance.
Amenities & Activities
- Single-track mountain bike trails (FYI: these trails close temporarily if conditions are hazardous. Please check this page to see whether they are open before visiting).
- Hiking and ungroomed cross-country ski trails
- Paved bike trails
- Scenic overlook decks
- Picnic tables
- Rustic toilets
- Hunting by special permit. See hunting for details.
Mountain Bike Trail ConditionsCheck trail conditions and potential closures by visiting the Upper Macatawa Cycling Trails Facebook page or by calling our weather conditions hotline: (616) 738-9531.
Upper Macatawa Natural Area is located in Zeeland Township; this map shows facilities, parking areas, features and trails. The 612-acre property features stunning bridges and is popular among bikers, hikers, runners, and birders. The bike path running through the park connects to Byron Road’s Fred Meijer Kenowa Trail which leads to Kent County on the north side and to the Adams Street’s bike path, which runs to the lakeshore, on the south side. The single-track mountain bike trails are maintained by dedicated volunteers and are some of the best trails in the area. Visitors will find a variety of habitat, including forests, grasslands, and wetlands, that is home to diverse wildlife.
March 1 through October 15: 7am to 10pm
October 16 through February 28: 7am to 8pm
There are no entry fees.
- Dogs are required to be leashed (10’ max) and under control at all times.
- Dogs are not permitted in restrooms, picnic shelters, off-trail, or as posted.
- Please be aware that archery hunters may be present during the fall.
- Owners must clean up after their pet and dispose of waste in a trash receptacle.
- Recognizing that most dogs enjoy running and playing freely, many Ottawa County Open Space Lands allow dogs year-round off leash.