The Legal Self-Help Center (LSHC) is a hub for information about civil (non-criminal) legal issues and court procedures in Ottawa County.
The LSHC is staffed by volunteers who can:
Answer questions about court processes
Review forms for completeness
Provide information about community resources
LSHC staff cannot tell you your best course of action (legal advice). If you need legal advice, you must contact an attorney.
You must be able to:
- Understand laws relevant to your issues
- Understand court processes
- Identify which court paperwork is correct for your purposes
- Understand how to complete court paperwork
- Complete all steps of the court process in a timely manner
- Attend court hearings
- Keep organized
Need an attorney?
Legal Aid of Western Michigan is a nonprofit law firm providing free legal advice and representation in a broad range of areas including consumer cases, family matters, housing problems, government benefits, and much more.
Attorneys listed on the websites linked below are not pro bono attorneys. In most instances, if you decide to hire an attorney, he or she will expect to be paid.