Ottawa County offices will be closed on Monday, May 27, 2024 in observance of Memorial Day.

Juvenile Court

Parental Responsibilities & Financial Reimbursement

Parental Responsibilities

  • Obey all court orders and report all violations of probation.
  • Provide transportation for court ordered programs
  • Know whereabouts of juvenile at all times
  • Attend all school conferences
  • Inform court and school of all juveniles’ absences and illnesses
  • Attend counseling or other court ordered programs and services
  • Pay for court ordered programs and services

Financial Reimbursement

  • Court has authority to order parent and/or juvenile to reimburse for any expense incurred.
  • Reimbursement may include cost of detention, clothing, foster care, and other placements; as well as services including but not limited to psychological testing, medical, dental, optical care, psychiatric evaluations, counseling. State and court costs associated with admissions.
  • Court may garnish wages or assess additional penalties including fines and jail for failure to pay as ordered.
  • A financial form is available and should be completed by parents for an accurate assessment of placement fees.
  • Court may redirect child support, Social Security benefits and adoption subsidies if a juvenile is removed from the home.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What if I disagree, or my financial situation changes?
    You may contact the Reimbursement Specialist to file a financial statement with the Court or request a review hearing with the Judge or Referee (no cost).
  2. How do I get a court-appointed attorney?
    Contact the court (616-786-4100) and let us know you would like a court-appointed attorney.
  3. How much will it cost?
    $75.00 per parent (custodial and non-custodial) per appointment.

  4. What if I can’t afford the court-appointed attorney?
    The court will still appoint an attorney for you. You may be required to reimburse the court based on a payment schedule if you cannot make payment in full.
  5. If I am required to pay for an attorney, but am unable to pay it all at once, can I make payments?
    Yes. Just contact the Reimbursement Specialist to set up arrangements.
  6. What other services could I be billed for?
    Counseling services, out of home placements, clothing allowances and medication.
  7. How much will out of home placements cost?
    Each placement cost varies; each parent is billed based on their income. It is important a financial form is completed to accurately assess billing percentages.

  8. What medication or medical bills will I be responsible for?
    Any medical attention or medication costs incurred by the court during your child’s placement.

  9. I am a single parent. Will I have to pay for all of the costs incurred?
    No. Each parent is billed based on their income.

  10. But what if I am paying child support? Do I still get billed?
    Yes. However, if your child gets placed out of the home long-term, please contact the reimbursement specialist so that the Friend of the Court can be directed to send your child support payments to us.