COVID-19 Updates from Public Health
COVID-19 Limited Operations, Procedures and Closures

Legal Self-Help Center

Legal Self-Help Center COVID-19 Response

In response to the current emergency declarations regarding COVID-19, the Legal Self-Help Center (LSHC) will be modifying operations in order to avoid unnecessary in-person contact between LSHC users and LSHC staff. Effective March 16, 2020, LSHC staff will be providing services by phone and email only.

Getting Paperwork

All paperwork packets may be ordered online. Paperwork packets will be shipped via first class or priority mail.

Filing Paperwork

You may file divorce paperwork by sending your completed paperwork, copies, and a money order to the Ottawa County Clerk’s Office, 414 Washington, Room 320, Grand Haven, MI 49417. You will need to send the same paperwork you would normally bring to the clerk’s office to start a case. You will also need to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope so that the clerk may mail your copies back to you.

Motions need to be e-filed via MiFILE. If you are unable to access the technology needed to use MiFILE, you may complete the Request for Exemption from use of MiFILE and Order. Mail this request, along with your motion, to the Ottawa County Clerk’s Office, 414 Washington, Room 320, Grand Haven, MI 49417.


Motions are still being scheduled for hearing. However, these hearings are currently being conducted by phone or ZOOM. You will receive your hearing date in the mail. You will also receive an Acknowledgment Regarding Use of Communication Equipment. You will need to complete the acknowledgment and return it to the court via MiFILE or email.


About Us

The Legal Self-Help Center (LSHC) is a hub for information about civil (non-criminal) legal issues and court procedures in Ottawa County.

The LSHC is staffed by volunteers who can:

Answer questions about court processes

Provide forms

Review forms for completeness

Provide information about community resources

LSHC staff cannot tell you your best course of action (legal advice). If you need legal advice, you must contact an attorney.

Representing yourself?

You must be able to:

  • Understand laws relevant to your issues
  • Understand court processes
  • Identify which court paperwork is correct for your purposes
  • Understand how to complete court paperwork
  • Complete all steps of the court process in a timely manner
  • Attend court hearings
  • Keep organized

Need an attorney?

Legal Aid

Legal Aid of Western Michigan is a nonprofit law firm providing free legal advice and representation in a broad range of areas including consumer cases, family matters, housing problems, government benefits, and much more.

Lawyer Referral

Attorneys listed on the websites linked below are not pro bono attorneys. In most instances, if you decide to hire an attorney, he or she will expect to be paid.

Ottawa County Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan