[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Planning & Preparedness
Be Prepared! Do you have?
Household Disaster Plan
What you can do to keep your family safe?
Create a disaster plan
- Meet with your family. Discuss the dangers of fire, severe weather and other hazards.
- Develop a plan for all types of disasters that are most likely to happen.
- Pick two places to meet.
- Designate a “Family Contact”; perhaps someone out-of-state.
- Discuss what to do in an evacuation.
- Develop a plan to take care of your pets.
Make emergency preparations
- Post emergency telephone numbers by phone (fire, police, ambulance, etc.)
- Teach children how and when to call 911.
- Teach each family member how and when to turn off the water, gas and electricity at the main switches.
- Install smoke detectors on each level of your home.
- Stock emergency supplies and assemble an Emergency Supplies Kit.
- Determine the best escape routes from your home. Find two ways out of each room.
- Find the safe spots in your home for each type of disaster.
Practice and maintain your plan
- Quiz your kids every six months so they remember what to do.
- Conduct fire and emergency evacuation drills.
- Replace stored water every three months and stored food every six months.
- Test your smoke detectors monthly and change the batteries at least twice a year.