The Firearm Laws of Michigan under MCL 28.422 require all handguns in Michigan be registered. A criminal background check must be conducted on the purchaser prior to the purchase.
- Individuals who hold a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL) may purchase a handgun without a background check. Purchase and registration is recorded on the Pistol Sales Record form RI-060.
- Individuals who hold a valid Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL) may purchase a handgun without a background check. Purchase and registration is recorded on the Pistol Sales Record form RI-060.
- Individuals who are currently licensed in Michigan as sworn law enforcement officers may purchase a handgun without a background check. Purchase and registration is recorded on the Pistol Sales Record form RI-060.
- All others have two methods to choose from:
- Purchase from a gun dealer with a valid FFL to sell guns. Purchase and registration is recorded on the Pistol Sales Record form RI-060. OR
- Obtain a License to Purchase (LTP) from a Law Enforcement Agency BEFORE purchasing from an individual. The Licensing Authority Copy of the LTP will register the handgun when you return it to the agency that issued the LTP.
- If you meet the criteria for the Pistol Sales Record form RI-060, it is available at the Michigan State Police Firearms website.
The License to Purchase (LTP) application is obtained at a law enforcement agency. If you would like to apply for a license to purchase a handgun, you must report in person to the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office located at the County of Ottawa Fillmore Street Complex in West Olive between 8:00am and 4:30pm. You may call our office to schedule an appointment to apply 616-738-4025. You will need your valid Michigan Driver's License/or a Michigan State ID, with your current address to apply. We offer notary services for $10.00. The permit is valid for 30 days. It must be returned to the law enforcement agency that issued it within 10 days of the purchase. We prefer the completed Licensing Authority Copy of the permit be mailed to our office: Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office, Attn: Gun Records, 12220 Fillmore St., West Olive, MI 49460. Alternately, there is a drop box located outside of our building on Fillmore Street.
The purchaser is required to return the registration copy (MSP) within 10 days of the purchase.
- Purchases made with an LTP require the purchaser return the MSP copy of the LTP to the agency that issued the permit.
- Purchases made on a Pistol Sales Record (RI-060) require the purchaser return the registration ‘Registry’ (or MSP) copy to their local law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over their residence.
- Please mail all registration documents to:
Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office
12220 Fillmore Street
West Olive, MI 49460
- The purchaser must maintain their copy with the firearm for at least 30 days. We recommend keeping your copy with your other important papers after 30 days have passed.
The Michigan State Police offers ICHAT (Internet Criminal History Access Tool) on their website. ICHAT includes criminal convictions anywhere in Michigan.
Fingerprinting is offered by the Sheriff’s Office at our Fillmore Street location Monday-Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm. The fees for fingerprinting vary depending on the reason you are being fingerprinted. You MUST have government issued photo identification showing your date of birth with you.
- Fingerprinting is offered by appointment only.
- Please allow at least 45 minutes for your appointment.
- Appointments can be scheduled online.
LiveScan – Electronic Submission
If you need electronic (LiveScan) submission of your fingerprints for a State and/or Federal background check, such as for teaching, you must provide the proper form from the organization requesting prints. This form includes Purpose Code and Requesting Agency Identifier for the organization. This data ensures the proper fee is charged, and the response is directed to the correct organization. We cannot provide these codes for you. Most LiveScan print submissions cost $53.25 depending on the print purpose code. If you need printed cards in addition to the electronic submission, the cost is $10.00 per card. Acceptable methods of payment.
If you have been ordered by an Ottawa County Court to provide fingerprints for a criminal charge, you must schedule an appointment, and bring the Court order, Government Issued PHOTO ID. (If your Photo ID was seized at the time of the arrest, bring supporting ID documents with you.) There is no fee for court ordered prints.
Paper Print Cards
If you need paper fingerprint cards, our fee is $10.00 per card. We provide State of Michigan (RI-008) and/or FBI applicant (FD-258) cards. If your organization is providing Michigan and/or FBI print cards, do not pre-fill your information. Our system prints your data and our agency data on the cards when we print them. We can only print on Michigan (RI-008) and/or FBI applicant (FD-258) cards. The fee remains the same if you provide the cards or use ours. Acceptable methods of payment.
Criminal Justice (CJ) Employment/Vendor:
If you have been asked to submit fingerprints for employment with a criminal justice agency, or as a vendor providing services to a criminal justice agency, you must schedule an appointment for prints. You must bring government issued PHOTO ID and form provided by the organization requesting the prints. There is no fee for CJ prints.
Acceptable Methods of Payment
Acceptable methods of payment include:
- Money Order – for exact amount only (Not accepted for Abandoned Vehicle Auction purchases)
- Credit Card – Photo ID required. Name on card must match ID. VISA/Mastercard only. Convenience fee applies to all card transactions. Card fees are listed here.
- We will not accept personal checks. We do accept business checks for the exact amount only.