To request a copy of a police report or an accident report, contact the Records Unit to determine that the report is available before you come to pick up a copy. For an accident report, please call (616) 738-4024 or for a criminal report please call (616) 738-4023 or (616) 738-4026. There is a charge for obtaining a copy of these reports. The cost for an accident report is $4.00 for the original report and $1.00 per page for any additional pages. The cost for a criminal report is $5.00 for the original report and $1.00 per page for any additional pages.
Acquiring Gun Permits and Licenses
The Records Unit is responsible for processing all applications for Carrying Concealed Weapons permits, permit to purchase handguns, and the registration of all handguns for the township residents of Ottawa County.
If you would like to apply for a permit to purchase a handgun and you are a township resident, you should report to the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office located at the County of Ottawa Fillmore Street Complex in West Olive between the hours of 8:00am to 4:30pm. You will need your valid Michigan Driver's License/or a Michigan State ID, with your current address to apply. If you have already purchased your handgun you need to make sure (2) copies (agency and MSP) of the purchase permit are returned to the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office within 10 days from the time you purchase your handgun. This can be done in person, first class mail, or certified mail. There is a $10 cash fee for notary services applied to gun permits and licenses.
This fee is waived for CCW holders. CCW holders are required to use a Pistol Sales Record upon purchase of their handgun. These can be obtained from the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office or from the Michigan State Police.
These should be filled on the 4-part form. The 4-part form must be distributed as follows. Seller, Purchaser, Local agency, Michigan State Police.
Summary of the Firearm Laws of Michigan statutory MCL 28.422 change regarding the registration of pistols effective January 7, 2009:
- Repeal Section 9 which requires people who purchase or come into possession of a pistol to present it for a safety inspection and requires the maintenance of safety inspection records.
- Extend licensure provisions to people who possess a pistol in Michigan in addition to those who purchase, carry, or transport pistols, unless the person is covered by an exception.
- Allow license forms and sales records to be returned to the local police or Sheriff office in person or by mail (first class or certified).
- Require licensees to return license forms within 10 days of a pistol being purchased or otherwise obtained.
- Require persons with a license to purchase a pistol to keep the required license with them for first 30 days after the purchase, but not afterward.
- Require persons licensed to carry a concealed weapon to keep the required sales record with them for first 30 days after the purchase of a pistol, but not afterward.
- Specify the penalty (civil infraction with a fine of up to $250) for failure to return required license forms or sales records to the local police or Sheriff Office or for otherwise violating specified sections.
- Require the concealed weapon licensing board to be notified when a person (who has a concealed pistol license) commits this type of infraction.
- Shift the responsibility for returning the required sales record from the seller of the pistol to the purchaser when the pistol is purchased by someone with a concealed weapon license.
Carrying Concealed Weapon Permits
The process for obtaining a concealed weapons permit starts by obtaining an informational packet from any police department or any of the three Ottawa County Clerk's Offices. Read over the materials carefully to make sure you have completed the necessary paperwork.
Step 1: The following items are required at the County Clerk's Office to apply for your CCW license:
- Valid Picture ID with Current Address (Michigan Drivers License or Michigan ID Card)
- Course Completion Certificate ( For 1st time Applicant)
- For CCW Renewals - Review Gun Laws and Complete One Hour of Target Practice (If you prefer there are refresher courses available at some training centers)
- Two (2) Passport Photos - Pictures can be taken the Ottawa County Clerk's Office at the Fillmore location only for a fee of $10.00. If taken elsewhere the photographs should be 2 X 2 inches in size. The head from the chin to the hair should be 1-1/16" X 5/6 inches.
- Two (2) phone numbers.
- Completed Application. DO NOT sign and date your "Concealed Pistol License Application" until you present your application to a representative of (and at) the County Clerk's Office.
- Application Fee is $105.00 and does not include the cost of photos. Cash/Check/Credit
Card/Money Order/Cashier's Check are accepted. Payment is payable to:
Ottawa County Clerk's Office
- Fingerprints are processed only at the Sheriff's Dept. Fillmore location until 4:00 pm daily.
Step 2: The following items are required at the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office for fingerprinting:
- Valid Picture ID with current address (Michigan Driver's License or Michigan ID Card) and receipt from the County Clerk's Office
Hours of Operation:
Fingerprinting - 8:00am to 4:00pm;
Purchase permits - 8:00am to 4:30pm
No appointment necessary, please call (616) 738-4025 to confirm the systems are functioning properly.
The Ottawa County Sheriff's Office does local background checks. This is not a full criminal history check and only includes the area of the county governed by the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office. This does not include criminal convictions within the cities of Ottawa County governed by their own entity or any other counties or states. Cost is $5.00 if no record, if record $10.00.