Ottawa County Parks & Recreation
Upper Macatawa Natural Area
From US-31, travel east on 16th (Adams) to 84th. Travel north on 84th a half mile to the west entrance. From I-196 to exit 55 and travel east on Byron Road to 76th Avenue. Take 76th south to the east entrance.
Amenities & Activities
- Single-track mountain bike trails (FYI: these trails close temporarily if conditions are hazardous. Please check this page to see whether they are open before visiting).
- Hiking and ungroomed cross-country ski trails
- Paved bike trails
- Scenic overlook decks
- Picnic tables
- Rustic toilets
- Hunting by special permit. See hunting for details.
This map shows facilities, parking areas, features and trails. Upper Macatawa Natural Area is located in Zeeland Township and is popular among bikers, hikers and runners. The park offers a variety of habitats including forests, grasslands and wetlands which lead to diverse wildlife. Along the Macatawa River, its wetlands act as a sponge and filter during heavy rains and contribute to water quality improvement. In the spring of 2015, a new section of paved bike path will connect Adams Street’s bike path to the lakeshore with Byron Road’s Fred Meijer Kenowa Trail which leads to Kent County.
March 1 through October 15: 7am to 10pm
October 16 through February 28: 7am to 8pm
There are no entry fees.
- Dogs are required to be leashed (10’ max) and under control at all times.
- Dogs are not permitted in restrooms, picnic shelters, off-trail, or as posted.
- Please be aware that archery hunters may be present during the fall.
- Owners must clean up after their pet and dispose of waste in a trash receptacle.
- Recognizing that most dogs enjoy running and playing freely, many Ottawa County Open Space Lands allow dogs year-round off leash.
Parks Visitor Center
- The Nature
at Hemlock Crossing
8115 West Olive Road
West Olive, MI 49460
- Tuesday - Saturday:
9:00am - 5:00pm
12:00pm - 5:00pm
- Phone: (616) 786-4847
- Pigeon Creek Hotline: (616) 738-9531
- Room 267
12220 Fillmore St.
West Olive, MI 49460
- Monday - Friday:
8:00am - 5:00pm
- Phone: (616) 738-4810
Fax: (616) 738-4812
- In Ottawa County:
(888) 731-1001 ext.4810
General Park Hours*March 1 - October 15
7:00am - 10:00pm
October 16 - February 28
7:00am - 8:00pm