Ottawa County Parks & Recreation
Hunting on Parks & Recreation Properties
Ottawa County Parks & Recreation offers hunting on over 3,340 acres of selected properties with some restrictions intended to protect hunters and park visitors alike. Before you head out to hunt, please review the rules and permit requirements. Along with the general park property rules, hunters must comply with the following:
- All hunters must follow the laws of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.
- Trapping is not allowed.
- Target practice or paint ball shooting is not allowed.
- Hunters must maintain a 30-yard distance from property lines. Property lines are marked with red stakes.
- Hunting is not allowed within 450 feet of any occupied building.
- Motorized vehicles are not allowed except in designated parking areas.
- Cutting of trees or branches to create shooting lanes is not allowed.
- Gathering of dead materials found on the ground to construct blinds is not allowed.
- Temporary type 1 ground blinds may be used.
- Using bait to attract deer is not allowed.
- Fishing is allowed in designated areas following the laws of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.
- More in Sections 11 & 12 of Ordinance No. 03-2
- Hunting Brochure
Properties with Hunting Available
Properties requiring a special permits for hunting include Crockery Creek Natural Area, Upper Macatawa Natural Area and North Ottawa Dunes. The application period is complete for the 2013 hunting season on these properties. Please check back here in August to apply for the 2014 hunting season. Hunters who are selected for a special permit are asked to complete a survey at the end of the season. This survey helps us assess the hunts and improve them in the future. Hunters may also find the survey results interesting and helpful.
Hunting is Not Allowed at:sss
Parks Administration Office
12220 Fillmore St.
West Olive, MI 49460
8:00am - 5:00pm
Fax: (616) 738-4812
(888) 731-1001 ext.4810
General Park Hours*March 1 - October 15
7:00am - 10:00pm
October 16 - February 28
7:00am - 8:00pm