COVID-19 Updates from Public Health
COVID-19 Limited Operations, Procedures and Closures

Department of Public Health

Waste Disposal

Resource Recovery Service Centers

The Ottawa County Department of Public Health operates four Resource Recovery Service Centers. Materials that are accepted at the centers include Household Hazardous Waste, Consumer Electronics and Recyclables

If you have any questions regarding services, please call (616) 393-5645 or email

Resource Recovery Service Center Locations


15600 68th Avenue
Coopersville, MI 49404


Monday: 12pm-4pm
Wednesday: 8am-12pm
3rd Saturday: 8am-11am

Wed, January 1
Mon, May 25
Mon, September 7


6693 Roger Drive
Jenison, MI 49428

Tuesday: 12pm-4pm
Thursday: 8am-12pm
1st Saturday: 8am-11am

Sat, July 4
Thurs, November 26
Thurs, December 24


Grand Haven

16850 Comstock Avenue
Grand Haven, MI 49417


Monday & Wednesday: 8am-1pm & 2pm-4pm
4th Saturday: 8am-11am

Wed, January 1
Mon, May 25
Mon, September 7
Sat, November 28
Sat, December 26


14053 Quincy
Holland, MI 49424


Tuesday & Thursday: 8am-1pm & 2pm-4pm
2nd Saturday: 8am-11am

Thurs, November 26
Thurs, December 24


Back to Top

Projection TVs, CRT TVs and CRT Computer Monitors

The Ottawa County Resource Recovery Service Centers now accept projection TVs, Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) TVs and CRT computer monitors because of a grant from the Department of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy that helps cover the cost of recycling. Recyclers MUST be able to assist in unloading. If you cannot, please return with someone who can help. If you are not sure whether your items qualify for recycling, please call 616-393-5645 or email for more information.

Locations accepting these items for a FEE:

11379 East Lakewood Blvd
Holland (616) 355-4229
(Charges are based on screen size.)

Best Buy
Click Here For Accepted Items
3549 W. Shore Dr
Holland (616) 738-4183

4830 Wilson Ave SW
Grandville (616) 532-2024

5425 Harvey St
Muskegon (231) 798-6407
(Size limits may apply)

Household Hazardous Waste Program

Houshold Hazardous Waste Program FacebookImproper disposal can contaminate. FREE household hazardous waste disposal is available to Ottawa County residents at any Resource Recovery Service Center. Household hazardous wastes are leftover, unwanted or unusable products that contain toxic, flammable, caustic (causes burns) or chemically reactive ingredients.

Health hazards may occur when:

  • toxic gasses are inhaled from mixed products
  • hazardous products are left around the house and consumed by children or pets
  • hazardous products are poured into drains or toilets, causing contamination of septic tanks or wastewater treatment systems
  • hazardous products are poured into storm sewers and pollute bodies of water
  • drinking water from wells or water systems are contaminated


Motor Oil and Filters
Oil-Based Paint
Drain Cleaners
Fire Extinguishers
Garden Chemicals
Pool and Spa Chemicals
20lb Propane Tanks
Household Cleaners
Paint Thinner and Stripper
Flourescent Tube Light Bulbs
Hobby Supplies
Car Batteries
Lithium Batteries
Rechargeable Batteries
Scrap Metal

Not Accepted

Latex Paint
Plastic/Metal Lids
Food Containers
Alkaline Batteries
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Plastic Bags
Bulky Plastics

Back to Top

Industrial Hazardous Waste Management

Small Business, Non-profit
& Non-residential Services

We provide confidential, non-regulatory assistance and referral to properly manage industrial hazardous wastes. Our Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator program provides environmentally safe and economical disposal of hazardous waste at any of our Resource Recovery Service Centers. Appointments are required and a fee for services will apply. A conditionally exempt small quantity generator is one who creates less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste in a month or accumulates no more than 2,200 pounds total at a time.

Back to Top

Medication Disposal

MedicationPrevent drug misuse and abuse. Free disposal of unwanted or expired prescription drugs and over the counter medications are accepted at participating locations. Please remove pills from bottles and place in a sealable plastic bag. Liquids or gels may be kept in original packages with the labels blackened or removed.

Participating Health Department Locations

Holland Department of Public Health
Hudsonville Department of Public Health

Participating Retail Pharmacy Locations

D&W - Grand Haven
1116 Robbins Rd

Leppinks Pharmacy
17717 174th Ave, Spring Lake

Tasker Drug Store
281 Main Street, Coopersville

Zeeland Family Fare
9479 Riley St

Participating Law Enforcement Locations

Coopersville City
289 Danforth Street

Grand Haven Township
13300 168th Avenue

Grand Valley Police Department 
1 Campus Dr, Allendale

Georgetown Township
3100 Port Sheldon Road

Holland City Police Department
89 W. 8th Street

Hudsonville City
3275 Central Boulevard

West Olive Sheriff’s Office
12220 Fillmore Street

Zeeland City 
29 W. Main Street

Back to Top

Sharp Needle ContainerSharps Disposal Program

Safe disposal of needles help prevent exposure to serious diseases, such as HIV and hepatitis.Free Home Use-Medical Sharps containers are available to residents at any Ottawa County Department of Public Health office. Once containers are full, you may exchange them for new ones at our offices. Only sharps containers provided by the Ottawa County Department of Public Health will be accepted. We dispose full containers through a licensed medical waste disposal company, to reduce any health or safety risks.

Click here for more information about the GR Red Project’s Clean Works Program – syringe access/needle exchange program.

Back to Top

Used Motor Oil Recycling

Used Motor OilEach year, thousands of gallons of used motor oil is produced by do-it-yourself oil changes. Improper management of used oil can have detrimental effects on the environment. As little as one quart of oil can contaminate 2 million gallons of drinking water! Ottawa County residents can recycle used oil or any other automotive fluids (free of charge) at any Resource Recover Service Center.

Back to Top

Latex Paint

Latex Paint Disposal

Unusable latex paint, while not considered hazardous, must be dried prior to disposal. When drying latex paint, always choose an area that is well ventilated, protected from the elements and not accessible to children or pets.

For small amounts of paint, simply open the container and allow the contents to air dry. To solidify larger quantities of latex paint, mix in an absorbent such as cat litter. Mix in enough absorbent until the paint becomes difficult to stir and is no longer liquid. Allow to dry with the lid off. The container may be placed in the regular trash. Full, unused cans of paint that have not been frozen can be donated to Lakeshore Habitat Restore. Call (616) 399-7006 for more information.

Back to Top


Mercury is a toxic element found in household devices like thermometers and thermostats. Mercury should be carefully handled to prevent mercury spills and should be properly disposed. Exposure or inhalation of mercury vapors can lead to neurological damage and several other health hazards.


Mercury Containing Thermometers

The Thermometer exchange mercury containing thermometers for a free digital thermometer at any Ottawa County Department of Public Health office or Resource Recovery Service Center. Limit one digital thermometer per resident.

Mercury Containing Devices and Elemental Mercury

Schools, homes, health care facilities, and businesses may have mercury containing devices such as barometers, thermometers, sphygmomanometers, mercury switches and elemental mercury. Please call (616) 393-5645 for instructions on proper handling of mercury and to arrange for disposal.

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFLs) and fluorescent lights contain very small amounts of mercury in the form of a vapor powder. Local retailers may accept CFLs. To find an outlet near you, please visit and use the search function for your area. Ottawa County residents can recycle four and eight foot fluorescent light bulbs (free of charge) at any Ottawa County Resource Recovery Service Center. A fee for disposal services will apply to businesses.

Useful Links

Back to Top

Recycle BarrelsClean Sweep Free Pesticide Disposal

Clean Sweep is a FREE, non-regulatory program to help you safely dispose of banned and/or unusable pesticides or herbicides. Any Michigan homeowner, farm, greenhouse, nursery, golf course or other end user of pesticides or herbicides can use this service. Old, unwanted, out-of-date or unusable pesticides or herbicides can be dropped off (free of charge) for safe disposal at one of our Resource Recovery Service Centers.

Back to Top